Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

My <5% Utilized Gig Network Is Slow!!!!! I Fear The SAN Wants My Job.

I've got Gig everywhere and a 6500 switch. Production managers constantly complain to the CEO that the "network" is slow. I've looked at everything and 5% is about the max utilization other than the link from the switch to the SAN which bursts close to a gig at times (after a prolonged period of near inactivity). Does anyone know how I can determine the throughput of the SAN? Or even a rough estimate of the capability of a SAN would be great. (Please don't delay in your response. After I lose my job I may not have access here anymore). Thanks Much.

1 REPLY

Re: My <5% Utilized Gig Network Is Slow!!!!! I Fear The SAN Want

In my humble opinion, you need to get ahold of some network monitoring software such as Ciscoworks. I would contact the TAC, describe your problem, and ask for suggestions. Most, if not all, Cisco offices will also let you come to their lab to demo hardware/software. The folks at our regional office have never been anything but helpful when I've contacted the.

What is the setup of your 6500? I believe, with the proper configuration, the max throughput on the 6500 backplane is 256Gbps.

I would also look at the servers that are being backed up during the periods of increased activity. Doing a backup can place a heavy burden on some servers, especially with a SAN, because most SANs aren't going to have a problem keeping up with your server. This means that your server keeps sending data as fast as it can, while it still has to perform its regular duties.

Just a couple of things to look at. Good luck.

Views
Helpful
Replies