alainnana
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2610 router

Ethetnet 0/0

Console

AUX

W0 (serial 0/0)

The W0 interface is connected to my catalyst switch using the suitable adapter.

The pb is that the W0 interface does not lit and is alway down. Even when I do the no shutdown command on interface serial 0/0

I've even change first the switch port on which the serial interface is connected and second the serial adapter. No success.

Please for help.

Alain NANA

13 Replies 13

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What adapter do you have on your Catalyst switch. The FlexWan is the only module that will support serial connection.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I have a DB25-RJ45 adapter labeled TERMINAL CAB-500DTF

and

one serial cable labeled V.35 DTE.

Is it not the correct cable ?

Alain,

Are you just trying to coonect the router to Catalyst switch Ethernet port? If so, you need a regular cat 5 cable. Pleas give us more detail on what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Sure, I'm trying to connect the router to the switch Ethernet port and I'm using the following connectors:

- V.35 DTE serial cable with part number 72-0791-01 with its V.35(female)-DB25(male) adapter

- DB25(female)-RJ45(female) adapter

- FTP category 5 cable

The router Ethernet port(Ethernet 0/0) is connected to my network and I want to connect the serial port to the Internet side through the catalist 2950C switch.

he ethernet port is working very well but the serial one is always down.

I'm still not sure I understand your setup correctly. The 2950 is an ethernet switch and should not be involved with the serial connection. What is the type of serial connector on the router? Can you also include the router configuration.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Please I just want my router serial port to be working like the Ethernet port. That is all what I want.

When I do the "Show controllers" command, I have the serial Interface with the line

"DTE V.35 clock stopped" (see attachment for details)

summary I want my router to be working with my network through the serial port.

So the pb is not with the switch but with the router serial port only.

Thanks for help

Have you connected the DTE V.35 cable to you CSU/DSU?

BTW: From the information you attached, it looks like the Ethernet is not functioning properly either since it states: Ethernet0/0 is up, line protocol is down. You should use the STP Cat 5 to connect the ethernet port of the router to the switch.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

If I understand your cabling correctly, and correct me if I am wrong, you have the V.35 connected to the router serial interface, then a DB25 to RJ45 adapter connected to that cable, and a CAT5 cable connecting the adapter to an ethernet switch port.

If that is correct, it's not going to work. Period. The physical layer protocols aren't the same.

You CAN interconnect 2 serial interfaces with a V.35 cable, if you set one of them up as a clock source.

Yes Bondy that is my cabling. You understand me very well.

Then if the V.35 serial cable cannot conect the router serial port to the switch, which type of cable does I need to do that ?

Thanks.

Alain,

As Stephen indicated, you will not be able to do this with this cable or with any other cable for that matter. The Ethernet port on the router (e0/0)has to be connected to the 2950 using a STP Cat 5 cable. The serial cable has to be connected to and external csu/dsu provided by your service provider.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for helps

My problem is then that CSU/DSU. I don't have it on my cabling

So I will look for it. But can you please give me a reference for a good CSU/DSU ?

Thanks again!

Thse CSU/DSU is an external device usually provided by the service provider. What type of link do you have to the Internet? You could probably ask for the help of your service provider in setting up your Internet connection.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Tanks a lot for this conversation

It was very usefull for me

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: