Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

named access list

Hi all

I am told in a named access list you can delete but not insert entries, is this correct ? Also I have seen different numbers on the list like

50 permit x.x.x.x

60 permit x.x.x.x

70 permit x.x.x.x etc

what are these numbers for ?

cheers

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
6 REPLIES

Re: named access list

No you can add entries to a named access-list

The numbers are line numbers so that you can insert entries anywhere in the access-list

EG If i wanted to add an entry into your above example but needed it to be looked at before that last entry i would enter the following in conf mode

ip access-list extended "name"

65 permit y.y.y.y

When you look at the access-list afterward you'd see

50 permit x.x.x.x

60 permit x.x.x.x

65 permit y.y.y.y

70 permit x.x.x.x etc

Hope this explains it.

Cheers

N

thanks

can you use any numbers for this, also where do you put them when you configure them, i.e how would you type it in ?

Purple

You have to be in named ACL config mode to add the numbers and they would go just as you see them . I would do a search on named ACL's if you don't understand how to get into ACL config mode .

Purple

You only have the numbering option if your code is 12.2T and above , before that you could not number them though you could add and delete them .

Carl,

If you type "show ip access-list" this will list all access-lists and show the current line numbers.

You can also type "show ip access-list and then the number and this will list just that access-list with it's current line numbers.

HTH

Rgds

N

does it show you the numbers if you do a show run, or do you need to type sh access-lists ?

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.