Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

NAT and html

I am implimenting new network as an expansion to an existing network.

Customer has a WEB server meant for intranet users having IP address 90.0.5.10.

At the final stage,I will move that web server in to new network segment having address of 172.20.50.1.

Therefrore , for the rempote users I am doing NAT at the main router, so that the new segment users will access the WEB server using address 172.20.50.1 while existing users continue to use the "real" IP address of 90.0.5.20.

This is done by the following statement ;

IP nat inside source static 172.20.50.1 90.0.5.20

Now, the users at the new segment can PING the server to the new address of 172.20.50.1, The debug shows that the NAT translation is happening correctly.

But, when the user trying to acces the WEB pages on this MS IIS server, they cannot get the certain pages by clicking some liniks.

Upon further investigations we saw that those links contain hard-coded real ip address of 90.0.5.20.

Is there any way to get around this problem bu changing some router congiuration instread of re-programming all the web pages ?

( even the re-programming would not helpo since the existing users should continue to use the olsd IP address for some time.

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: NAT and html

I think you need to configure NATting with route maps. In this manner, the you will be able to specify the address that the NATting should use based on the destination IP address. But you have not told us if the problem is peculiar to just the remote users, because it seems that it will affect all your users.

Community Member

Any user ( local and remote ) can access the web host if we remove the NAT and uses actual address.

As soon as we define NAT in the router, though PING and TELNET works fine with the NATed address, WEB fails as I explained.

Silver

I think I mistook you the other time, thinking that you wanted to access the internet. If I get you right now, the present IP of the webserver is 90.0.5.20. Hence, this address should be NATted to 172.20.50.1, not the other way round. Try to check your topology well, because I feel the statement should have read

IP nat inside source static 90.0.5.20 172.20.50.1

Try this and see

Community Member

Basically what you are asking is the possibility for users from both segments (old and new) to access your WEB server by _either_ of ip addresses - old 90.0.5.10 or new 172.20.50.1. You have 4 possibilities

1. Users in the new segment accessing by a new ip address - no NAT required.

2. Users in the new segment accessing by an old ip address - NAT needed.

3. Users in the old segment accessing by a old IP address - NAT needed.

4. Users in the old segment accessing by a new ip address - no NAT required.

It means that you have to implement NAT for options 2 and 3 and ensure proper routing for options 1 and 4. However, what you are thinking about is just a temporary solution, quick and dirty. The best way is to adjust your WEB pages, but it may also take longer.

Regards, Alex

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content