cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT pool is full

steve.carlson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a connection to an extranet partner where we nat our source addresses to a nat pool and they in turn nat those to a different source for their network. my pool looks like this:

ip nat pool EnterprisePool 10.80.244.1 10.80.247.254 prefix-length 22

it looks like the nat pool that the extranet partner had was too small to handle our capacity so I started seeing addresses that fell within my nat pool being nat'd to addresses in my nat pool. I would see an address of 10.80.244.190 being nat'd to 10.80.244.157. Was this caused by them running out of NATs? How does IOS handle it when a NAT pool is full?

2 Replies 2

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

It may not be of running out of address in pool.

Pls check for the access-list/route-map, which you are using for classifying the criteria using which you are doing NAT.

ex.If you use an access-list "permit ip any any"

may cause this.

Thanks for the info. I did have a permit any any in there and had added rules to deny my NATs from being NAT'd right before I posted my original question. My vendor had also expanded their pool so it's hard to tell what fixed it. My guess is that I filled up the pool by NATing my NATs. I usually only NAT on an outside interface so I hadn't ran into this before.

Steve