Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Native IOS VS. CAT OS

I have a few 6513's. On the ones I have currently in production, they are using CAT OS(or Hybrid). In those switches I have configured HSRP just fine and would like to run HSRP on another network(with a switch that has native IOS). I am a liitle confused about how Native IOS operates, however. In Native IOS when you console into the Sup engine, and are at the router prompt, is that a separate router from the MSFC's? Because normally in Cat OS, you have the do a ses 15, or 16 to get to the MSFC's. Is there a way to get to them in Native IOS or are you already accessing them when you console into the SUP? The closest thing that I have been able to do is a remote login module 1. When I do this, this looks like what an MSFC would normally look like, but i am unsure if it is actually the MSFC. Am I totally off here?

3 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Native IOS VS. CAT OS

For 6500s running native IOS you are normally in contact with the MSFC2.

And that's really all you need - everything is done in IOS.

You *can* get into contact with the Supervisor explicitly, using "attach" or

"remote login".

Community Member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking, but then how do you access the other msfc, for instance to configure hsrp between the two routing components? When I do a sh mod, I see that there are two msfc daughter cards. One in mod 1 and the other in mod 2. I guess basically what I'm asking is, when you use the attach command or remote login, is that the other routing component(msfc)? Or is there another command?

Cisco Employee

You do not have to configure HSRP between the Sups/MSFCs in the same Chassis. The configuration from active Supervisor gets syncronized to standby Sup engine

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/swconfig/ehsa.htm

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/swconfig/redund.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content