cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Native VLAN mismatch problem. Please help.

touvue
Level 1
Level 1
6 Replies 6

kschafer
Level 1
Level 1

If you tell us what kind of switches you are dealing with at each end, it will be easier to tell you how to make this message go away.

:)

= K

At the core we are using 4506 with SUP IV at the access end the switches are 3524s and 3548s. Hopefully that helps. Let me know if you need mor info.

Thanks

Not sure which switch is indicating the native vlan mismatch, but here's a high level overview of whats going on...

With the 802.1q trunk specification, vlan1 is the native VLAN that carries the tagged VLAN data between switches. Sounds like this has been changed on one end of the trunk link between 2 (or more) switches. If so, reset the trunk to its default (interface level command) or set the native vlan on the other end of the dot1q trunk to match that of the other switch.

HTH,

andy

Not applicable

When I first ran into the Native VLAN Mismatch problem, I had overlooked one minor but not obvious requirement for setting up the connection.

The ports that are trunking the vlan must be in the same vlan. For instance, if you are trunking vlans between port one on two switches, both ports on each switch must be assigned to the same vlan. I tried to set up a trunk between a port in vlan 1 and a switch with the port in vlan 10. I wanted all the ports on one switch to be in vlan 10. But, I had to assign the port connecting to the other swithch to vlan 1 so that both ends of the trunk were in vlan 1. Problem went away as soon as I corrected the vlan port assignments.

Hope this helps.

masharris
Level 1
Level 1

And just to add to the above responses.... you can have two ports adjacent to each other that are not in the same VLAN under the condition that the ports are L3 and not L2 (i.e. no switchport). Basically, this is the same as plugging in two routers.

You'll still get the annoying native VLAN mismatch errors if CDP is active on the adjacent ports. In this scenario it is prudent to turn off CDP on those links (since they're L3 only) and it will stop the messages.

Good luck.

Got it fixed. Thanks for all help. What it end up to be is that I just had to configure the 35xx switch's gigabit ports (trunk ports) to run switchport trunk native vlan 2 ( The vlan we configuded for native). Then everything started to work. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: