Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rj

Native vs Hybrid mode on 6500

It looks like there are certain features that are only available when running in Native mode on Sup2. Is there any reason to use CatOS going forward other than for backward compatibilty?

Thanks,

RJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Native vs Hybrid mode on 6500

The choice of OS for the 6500 usually comes down to what features and cards you need to support on your switch.

While it is true that there are certain features that only work in Native (IOS) mode, there are also features that only work when running CatOS. There are also certain cards that only work with IOS and some that work with CatOS only.

One of the best arguments I have heard for using CatOS is when you have redundant supervisors in a chassis. The highavalibility failover is much faster than the Route Processor Redundancy + failover.

But the bottom line is it's a decision that has to be made based on 3 issues.

1. Feature and Card support: Does the OS support all the features and cards that you use or will use in your environment.

2. Network design: Which operating system works best with the design and operation of your network. For example IOS is easier to work with in a layer 3 network and COS tends to be a little easier to work with in a layer 2 environment.

3. Training and Consistency: If you are using 4500's (with sup 3's or sup 4's) 2950's and 3550's then those are all IOS switches. Does it make sense to have the 6500's running different operating systems? This requires more effort and makes it more difficult to manage the switches because you have to be familiar with both operating systems.

I don't think that there is a simple answer to the question. You have to evaluate your current needs and your future needs.

2 REPLIES

The choice of OS for the 6500 usually comes down to what features and cards you need to support on your switch.

While it is true that there are certain features that only work in Native (IOS) mode, there are also features that only work when running CatOS. There are also certain cards that only work with IOS and some that work with CatOS only.

One of the best arguments I have heard for using CatOS is when you have redundant supervisors in a chassis. The highavalibility failover is much faster than the Route Processor Redundancy + failover.

But the bottom line is it's a decision that has to be made based on 3 issues.

1. Feature and Card support: Does the OS support all the features and cards that you use or will use in your environment.

2. Network design: Which operating system works best with the design and operation of your network. For example IOS is easier to work with in a layer 3 network and COS tends to be a little easier to work with in a layer 2 environment.

3. Training and Consistency: If you are using 4500's (with sup 3's or sup 4's) 2950's and 3550's then those are all IOS switches. Does it make sense to have the 6500's running different operating systems? This requires more effort and makes it more difficult to manage the switches because you have to be familiar with both operating systems.

I don't think that there is a simple answer to the question. You have to evaluate your current needs and your future needs.

rj

Thanks for the insight. This is exactly the knowledge I was seeking!

RJ

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content