Views
Helpful
Replies

Natting and access list

nandurisrini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

I am using Dynamic and static natting on my router. can I use access lists in combination with natting. already outside natt is on my serial and inside natt is on my ethernet interface. If i should go for access list will the router support ? request experts suggestions and help.

Rgds

Srini

1 Reply 1

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

I suppose you refer to use access-lists to permit/deny some traffic through your router, not to access-lists used in dynamic NAT.

If it's so, there's no problem at all. I'm managing a Cisco 3640 with dynamic and static NAT and using access-lists to permit/deny some traffic. NAT inside in eth interface and NAT outside in serial interfaces. I don't know if you need specific IOS version to support both NAT & access-lists but I don't think so.

In my case, I put inbound and outbound access-lists in serial interfaces. If you want to do a similar configuration, when you write your access-lists (standard or extended) you must always put inside IP addresses ALREADY NATTED and outside IP addresses NO NATTED, regardless of they are source/destination IP addresses in inbound/outbound access-lists.

Hope this helps