Views
Helpful
Replies

Natting and access list

nandurisrini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

I am using Dynamic and static natting on my router. can I use access lists in combination with natting. already outside natt is on my serial and inside natt is on my ethernet interface. If i should go for access list will the router support ? request experts suggestions and help.

Rgds

Srini

1 Reply 1

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

I suppose you refer to use access-lists to permit/deny some traffic through your router, not to access-lists used in dynamic NAT.

If it's so, there's no problem at all. I'm managing a Cisco 3640 with dynamic and static NAT and using access-lists to permit/deny some traffic. NAT inside in eth interface and NAT outside in serial interfaces. I don't know if you need specific IOS version to support both NAT & access-lists but I don't think so.

In my case, I put inbound and outbound access-lists in serial interfaces. If you want to do a similar configuration, when you write your access-lists (standard or extended) you must always put inside IP addresses ALREADY NATTED and outside IP addresses NO NATTED, regardless of they are source/destination IP addresses in inbound/outbound access-lists.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: