Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NDE "Netflow Data Export" and CPU

Hi,

I want to enable netflow in our Catalyst 6509 "SUP2/MSFC2" running in hybrid mode CatOS 7.6.6 and IOS 12.1.20.

My Questions are:

1)how can I limit the impact of netflow on CPU?

2) Can I use the NAM to collect the Data

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: NDE "Netflow Data Export" and CPU

In order to limit the CPU impact on your Sup module, you can enable Sampled Netflow, which is just that - a sample of the total netflow data received. You can enable either time-based sampling or packet-based sampling. For complete details visit:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/swconfig/nde.htm

Yes, the NAM module can receive and process netflow data. The NAM1 module has two data collection interfaces to the backplane; one for SPAN/RSPAN and VACL data and the other for Netflow. The NAM2 module has three data collection interfaces; two for SPAN/RSPAN and VACL captures and the third for Netflow. Both support Netflow versions 1,5,6,7,8 and 9. For details please visit:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_data_sheet0900aecd80388dea.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

-m2

Re: NDE "Netflow Data Export" and CPU

Here is my shot at this. :)

You can limit the impact of Netflow by running NetFlow 9. Unless you are peering or running some crazy traffic, the cpu impact is minimal for the Sup2 even with NetFlow 5. Adjusting the timers will definitely help with scaling your cpu to NetFlow. However, in most cases, there should not be any concerns unless you are running lots of gig traffic and have lots of flows.

The NAM will be able to collect the NetFlow, but the actual collection from the interfaces (switch) will be be collected and NDE to the NAM (affecting in some minute scale the cpu). The NAM will be able to use and display the collected NetFlow information via NDE.

Hope this helps.

Ricky Boyd

www.hypernetworks.net

Views
Helpful
Replies