Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Need 2 AS400's in same subnet, but seperated by 3 router hops.

I have one set of vlans terminated on a 7204 router. I have another set of vlans terminating on on a 6509 MFSC. At each site I have an AS400, and both of these machines need to be on the same subnet for diaster recovery purposes, but in different physical locations. Other than a dedicated fiber run from one location to the other, are there any other solutions to this dilema?

3 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Need 2 AS400's in same subnet, but seperated by 3 router hop

You may be able to get it to work with NAT, but without more information, its hard to say.

Mick.

Community Member

Several things are possible. It really depends on the connection between sites, etc.

One is to place a switch in the site with the 7500 and trunk the vlan between sites. In a metro net, this would be best.

You could host route one of your AS400's, and rely on proxy arp and a VLSM enabled routing protocol to find the as400.

Another might be to use IRB and GRE to tunnel your subnet across the wan.

Regards;

Doug

Hi,

I recently did this for a customer. We bridged the subnet together between the routers and used IRB on both routers. Worked like a champ.

I haven't tried bridging/IRB across a GRE tunnel, but IOS warns about bridging on a tunnel interface so it may work or may not. Below is warning.

router(config)#int tu1

router(config-if)#bridge-group 1

% This command is an unreleased and unsupported feature

As the others said, NAT and other ways would also possibly work but more info is needed.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content