cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need basic help with Cisco 801 routers

empulse
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a Cisco 801 router for use in the US. I am somewhat confused about the specs. In the Cisco documentation, it says this router can bu used "worldwide" (Not "Worldwide, except in North America"). The person I purchased it from says that I may need a NT-1 adapter. I cannot find any useful info in the docuentatation or on the Cisco site. The questions are: (1.) Can I use it as is or do I have to get a NT-1 adapter. and (2) if I have to get an NT-1 adapter, where do I find one. I cannot find this listed in the Cisco site.

Thanks for any help.

2 Replies 2

benjamingarcia
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco 801 (S/T is used outside the US only unless you will provide a NT1-Adapter. I checked the product catalog and it says that you need to use the 802 model with U interface that comes with NT1 in North america.

We use the 801 here in Australia where NT1 is supplied by the Telco and I don't know much about the US but I think you need to replace your 801 with 802.

I hope this helps you.

Ben

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

The first response you got is correct. Telcos provide the NT-1 just about everywhere but here. You can buy the NT-1 at a reasonable price. All of the usual telco manufacturing suspects should have something (Nortel, etc). Just do a search on Yahoo or something. But if you just bought this, you should turn it back in and get the right box. Sounds like your sales engineer was asleep at the switch. The Cisco Product Quick Reference Guide specifically states that the 801 is for "outside North America." And again, your first response was correct - the 802 is the BRI U model for N. America.