cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need clarification on old IOS LMI Type

smanghillis
Level 1
Level 1

Have an old 2500..types of link mgmt available are switched & pvc drop. The frame net is set up as ANSI or ANNEX D. Which should I use?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

on the cisco router you can configure ANSI as lmi as follows

int s0

encap frame-relay

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

Thats all you need to do. This command was introduced starting IOS 10.0. What IOS version r u running..??

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

ansi and annex d are same standards.. since frame switch is set to ansi, you need to set lmi type to ansi. lmi autosense is available from ios 11.x. So it will automatically sense the lmi configured on the switch.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Understood, however, I have an outage at a remote site and as this was a pre-config'ed router for disaster recovery and we've not updated IOS, we need to set the LMI type. The choices are "switched" and "PVC drop." I am assuming that this was before Cisco and ANSI standards. Which one would I choose in an ANSI net environment when ensuring proper programming?

on the cisco router you can configure ANSI as lmi as follows

int s0

encap frame-relay

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

Thats all you need to do. This command was introduced starting IOS 10.0. What IOS version r u running..??

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

yes, the configurations are as given by shanky.

I assume the IOS u are using cant be older than 10.0 :-)

-Deepu

smanghillis
Level 1
Level 1

bottom line, I need to have the IOS upgraded...done and problem solved, thanks shanky.

You are welcome. Just curious to know, what is the IOS version being used??? is it lesser than a 10.0 ?? I once remember seeing a 2500 router with a 9.x...

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

According to my IT tech on site, its 11.x, but that would make no sense what so ever. Now he'll have no excuse why this node is not working by EOB.

the 11.x should work fine, except that, i think autosensing is enabled only from 11.2 ( i m not sure about this).

Is the link down, even after setting the frame-lmi type to ansi ?

what does a show frame-relay lmi reveal. Can you paste that output?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

he's just upgrading now to IOS 12.3. Will advise when it's up and up.

Just make sure that there is enough amount of ram and flash. the other day i had downloaded 12.3 for the 2500 and it was 15 mb in size. a min of 16 mb flash is needed for the 2500. 12mb min ram for the IP only version, while, 16 mb min ram for the IP Plus version.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: