cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help configuring a layer 3 multi site LAN

b.bedford
Level 1
Level 1

I have a large school system that has SM Fiber running between 7 schools to the Board office. Each of the schools have a MDF with over 200 ports and smaller IDF's with 24 to 48 ports these connect to the MDF via MM fiber. I plan on using 3750's in the IDF's but what should I use at the MDF's and at the Board office. The Board office will need Layer 3 functionality to route between each subnet (shcool)and will need at least 7 SM fiber connections to the schools. I've looked at both the 4500 and 6500 series switches, but want to make sure I have all the parts I need.

any Help will be apprieated

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

With future expansion in minds I think you should go with Cat 6500. You have everything in place.

readamson
Level 1
Level 1

Without some additional information a recommendation is difficult to make, such as "what exactly is the network going to be used for?" "what features do you want to implement vs. those that must be implemented?" "how important is expansion in your considerations?". Both of the platforms you mention will serve the purpose of providing high-performance connectivity. A 6500 brings additional features that may be worth considering however.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: