Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

need help on LAN and WAN connection

How do you design a LAN of 15 computers in a 2 story building? 2 more LANs of 10 computers situated in 2 other countries? The network architecture should involve FDDI, Ethernet and Star network. Each LAN should have one printer and one FAX machine. The objective is to build a network linking the 3 LANs into a WAN to enable effective communication, file transfers ( that also involves construction drawings with the use of CAD), and network database access. Required are detailed diagram for WAN and individual LAN in each country, explanation for each components used in the network (including the budget for complete network)and of medium access techniques in each LAN and WAN. All kind of security should be implemented.

Advise and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: need help on LAN and WAN connection

I would start with a program such as Viso. You can document everything pretty well, show diagrams, etc. Of course it's not going to do your homework for you, but once you collect all of your information it will help you organize it better. It's going to take a lot of research and some thought/time to put something like this together.

Community Member

Dear stoneystone,

I wish I have read your response sooner (as with the other posted response to my problem). I am not aware of this Visio until now. I could have used it in the presentation of this project. I have been very busy lately trying to do this project I have so little background of. I will be doing my defense tomorrow morning. Anyway, maybe I can still use this Vision next time for I am a long way from graduating. Thanks a lot.

Community Member

I'll give you the short answer and you can take it from there. I don't want to do all the work.

First, the FDDI network should probably be set up at the 2 story building since it seems like the only place that MAY have some distance issues. The other two networks of 10 PCs should be arranged in a star topology connected to a hub or switch.

Second, to connect the networks you have several options. You could use satellite or you could use dial up or many other ways of communicating. My recommendation would be to just get a connection to the local ISP at the 10 user offices and then set up VPN tunnels back to what seems like the corporate office. NetScreen devices can do this for real cheap. They also act as DHCP servers and can NAT. NetScreens are also firewalls and the higher versions have a DMZ (for your email and web servers-(of course Cisco has this same product but at a much higher price- sorry Cisco!)

And the other guy was right, Visio is the way to go to document smaller installations like this. Good luck!

Community Member

Dear Jfraash,

I have just read your response to my problem and I appreciate it a lot. I am almost done with this project and will be doing my defense tomorrow morning. Your response has done me good because you were able to confirm that what I did was right. Thank you very much.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content