cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help on working with private, and public IP on same network

gknight8
Level 1
Level 1

I am new at this and was told to see if i could find out if it was possible to use private IPs, and public IPs on the same network. we would like to assign our printers private IPs and be able to print to them using our Public IP workstations, someone told me that we could do a vlan with mac addresses idoes any know if this is possible and the router we would need? Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can configure two subnets on your router ethernet interface, (either private network as primary subnet and public network as secondary subnet ). The router will take care of routing between these subnets.

Or you can create two vlans on your switch, vlan 1 for private addresses, and vlan 2 for public ip workstations and configure the router with subinterfaces for routing between the vlans.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thank you for your help, what cisco device would you recommend that I use to accomplish this? Thanks in advance

All cisco routers are capable of doing NAT, so selection depends on what type of wan connection you have, number of users, Typical features needed (like telephony, VPN etc).

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: