cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need router to prefer EIGRP path vs EBGP path for same subnets.

jolly
Level 1
Level 1

I have a set of networks that are being advertised internally via EIGRP. I am also advertising the networks to the internet via BGP. One of my remotes is also connected to the internet and running BGP also. It is prefering to take the BGP path vs the internel EIGRP path because the administrative distance is lower. 20 for the BGP route and 170 for the EIGRP route. I have used communities to set the metric, weight and local-prefrence inbound on the remote router but it still prefers the external path. I don't want to filter the networks completely but I need to have the remote router prefer the internal EIGRP path. I can't find a nerd knob to set the administrative distance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

You can target a particular network to take the IGP path by using the "network backdoor" facility in BGP. See this URL for info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk826/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c95bb.shtml#bgpbackdoor

You also have the option of setting the administrative distance for ALL BGP routes above that of EIGRP, but this is not the recommended fix.

View solution in original post

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can use BGP backdoor command to prefer EIGRP routes over EBGP.

IF network X and Y are being advertised via both EIGRP and EBGP, on the remote BGPconfiguration, add the command

router bgp

network X backdoor

network Y backdoor

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

bcbvale
Level 1
Level 1

Use the "distance" command under the eigrp process to lower the administrative distance for your eigrp learned routes.

ex.

distance {ip-address {wildcard-mask}} [ip-standard-list] [ip-extended-list]

ChrisV

Chris,

I think that will affect all my EIGRP routes but I can be more specific with a routemap. I don't necessarly want to change the admin distance for those netowrks in EIGRP. I think the second solution may work better in my situation. I.E. using the backdoor network under the BGP process. I will try both and let you know how it works.

THanks!!!

sj

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

You can target a particular network to take the IGP path by using the "network backdoor" facility in BGP. See this URL for info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk826/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c95bb.shtml#bgpbackdoor

You also have the option of setting the administrative distance for ALL BGP routes above that of EIGRP, but this is not the recommended fix.

that's the ticket. thanks!!

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can use BGP backdoor command to prefer EIGRP routes over EBGP.

IF network X and Y are being advertised via both EIGRP and EBGP, on the remote BGPconfiguration, add the command

router bgp

network X backdoor

network Y backdoor

Hope that helps!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

that's the ticket. thanks!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: