Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Need suggestions on replacing HUB / Switch Enviroment

We are in the process of looking to replace all Hubs and Switches in our Building. We have 6 floors, with each floor having a wiring closet. Would like to have each closet with a 2950 switch with 10/100 mbs and 1000 mbs uplinks. Could i use a 3750 as the core switch and connect the 2950's to the 10/100/1000 mbs ports ? Would i need to use any special wiring such as cross over to do this ?

Would like to use the 4500 or 6500 switches but cost will be an issue.

Mike

Security National Bank

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Need suggestions on replacing HUB / Switch Enviroment

Hello Mike,

no problem to connect the 2950 switches with the 3750 switches. When connecting the ports, use a four twisted-pair, Category 5, crossover cable.

The price difference for the 4500 and 6500 is considerable indeed...:)

Regards,

Georg

Community Member

Re: Need suggestions on replacing HUB / Switch Enviroment

The 2950s will work as you want but I would suggest using fiber between the floors to reduce any latency issues - remember cat5 has a 100meter limitation to it. If you want to do something like this, I'd recommend a 4503 (depending on the number of users needed) for the first floor with a 6-port fiber GBIC module, Sup III or Sup IV for the routing feature. You are right that cost is an issue but if possible, try to convince your supervision that the benefits will outweigh the cost in the long run.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content