Views
Helpful
Replies

NEED SWITCHING GURU!

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

I have a 6500 with SUP1A and a 4006. Can i use both of them at the core in redundant mode? we do not have money yet to buy another 6500 chassis, so just incase the 6500 fails the 4006 should pick up???

it is possible?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 6500 won't be a problem but the 4006 could be depending on how much traffic is passed thru it . Not really recomended for core traffic . We tried the same thing a long time ago when those first came out and they choked being used in the core and started dropping all kinds of packets once the load got higher .

thanks for the quick response.

I do not have a choice right now, as we only have 1 6500 and if anything happens to it's back plane i am screwed. Atleast i will be able to sustain some traffic for a couple of hours until Cisco send a replacement in 4 hours.

Do i need anything special for this to work, i mean i have a 4 port gig module for 4006 which i will use as an uplink for edge switches, any specific sup you would recommend that might upgrade the backplane capability for 4006? any IOS feature that need to worry about?

Thanks,

s.bertsch
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to make a couple of assumptions here.... given your limited budget you can do this. HSRP is HSRP if you are using the L3 and routing so yes they will talk to each other.

VTP is the same as long as you configure the VTP domain they will share VLAN info. I would set the 6500 as the server and 4000 as the client.

Again as with the others this is not the recomended solution but yes it will work without a doubt.

Thanks

Scott