Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to seperate networks for security

kgbsd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, here is the problem.

We are having our central office move here into our building next month. We need to keep them on a seperate network for security reasons. We have a 2621 router that they currently use and the only available ports we have here are on a 2950 switch. Is there a way to put some hops between the main network and the network for the new router? Is VLAN's the only option? Thanks for your help!

2 Replies 2

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VLANs is the way to go. You can configure intervlan routing on the 2621 and apply access-lists if you want to isolate traffic between specific VLANS

Regards,

-Prashanth

demarcusross
Level 1
Level 1

Vlan the network into a couple of different vlans. Remember that each vlan will need a default gateway if they are going to route to another network. As far as security you will have to use access list or a firewall to have a since of complete security depending on how secure you want to make the network. If you want me to take a look at your network email me you topo and I will look at it for you to offer some assistance. demarcusross@mindspring.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: