Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

netflow MFSC2, SUP2+ cat6500 Limited statistic available

Hello All!

I would need some help to understand netflow. I read all cisco documentation but it`s still not clear. Too focus at the command level and not enough at the architecture level.

I have a vlan where I want netflow active so I include in the interface router and general config:

-ip route-cache flow

-ip flow-export destination XXXX XX

What statistic should I see? Any thing in or out that vlan (lan and internet)? Only communication inside that vlan (subnet)? Only lan trafic?

With flow-tools I can see some statistic but limited to some IP. That vlan has users so I would expect www, ftp to internet they should also access to servers which is in another vlan. What is wrong!!!

Also, I am not sure why and when I need to active nde at the switch level here is the printout:

show mls nde

Netflow Data Export version: 1

Netflow Data Export enabled

Netflow Data Export configured for port 9000 on host 142.137.28.5

Total packets exported = 0

Bridged flow statistics is disabled on vlan(s):xxxxx

When do I need to activate bridged flow ?

Believe it or not I have some statistic without exported packet at the switch level.

Help would be appreciated

Christian Heroux

3 REPLIES

Re: netflow MFSC2, SUP2+ cat6500 Limited statistic available

What statistic should I see? Any thing in or out that vlan (lan and internet)?

Either case, anything.

You shoud work with netflow a bit!

If I activate only the MSFC there is limited statistic: broadcast and to the router interface.

Why should I bridge flow statistic at layer 2?

I will figure out by experimenting. I wanted some feedback from people who configured it. I realize that there is not many LAN builded with cat 6500 and MSFC.

Thanks

There is a long story in this area...

Alot depends on OS.. CATos 7.2 has the bridged command and will give all ip per port of switch exported version 7..watch out for missing ifindexes so to avoid that problem go to 7.4...

On IOS there is no bridged command yet ...

There is good inforamation on all this from the Networkers Presentation "Advanced Netflow" ..This whole area has been quite confusioning with version 5 and 7 two sources of netflow and now differneces between os functionality...best of luck

Views
Helpful
Replies