cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Netscout nGenius vs. Ciscowork RTM

sgamer
Level 1
Level 1

I have been told the nGenius software from Netscout is different than the version that ships with Ciscoworks.

In the FAQ below, the question "How Do I Integrate RTM with CiscoWorks 2000?" was asked. In the response there was the note "The nGeniusP.lf file is for the Performance Monitor piece. Cisco does not sell this component..."

I have a customer who wants to know what the differences are between the two products and would a appreciate if someone could list them. Thanks.

RTM FAQ:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/RTM/rtm_faq.shtml#4a

6 Replies 6

rborel
Level 1
Level 1

They are not "different". What it is, is the Cisco RTM doesn't have all the features of the nGenius RTM. They are both made by Netscout it's just that the Cisco version doen't have the Performance Monitoring piece included. It's and additional charge to "upgrade" from the Cisco RTM to the nGenius RTM. At my company we've decided to go with upgrading the Cisco Works 2000 to the newest version (which includes the RTM) and in a second phase we're going to buy the Netscout Capacity Planer for Probes piece that will do the longer term trending information.

Hope this helps.

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

The only difference is that that we don't sell the license for the Performance Monitor. For that, you need to buy it from NetScout directly.

Thank you both for the the information.

I searched the Netscout website and could not find the specific reference to "Performance Monitor." They list RTM, Capacity Manager and Application Service Level Manager but no Performance Monitor. What is Performance Monitor?

rborel
Level 1
Level 1

Here's all I found at the site.

Watch the whole network with performance

monitoring:*

• Depicts data in logical business groupings and

presents network activity by user and application in

clear, easy-to-read graphs

• Prevents resource degradation by notifying network

professionals when thresholds are reached

• Isolates the source of problems in real-time for

rapid recovery

Optimizing Web site performance increases customer satisfaction

and revenues.

It's basically a scaled down short-term SLA tool from what I understand about it. We're ordering it in about 3 months, I could tell you more about it then. or, if you'd like. I can give you the number to our salesperson.

Thanks again. I work for a reseller as well so I have plenty of salespeople around. Actually, they're the ones asking me to figure out what the differences are. Have a good weekend.