Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Network Address scheme change - checklist?

I have the arduous task of changing the IP address space within a 24/7 production environment now. The new address space is not within same subnet as is being used currently.

100+ L2 switches, 2 x WAN routers, Core 6509 L3 switch, 800+ hosts, printers, etc.

Is there a good checklist to follow for successful planning and execution?

Setting up secondary IP addresses on sub-interfaces on switches in order to accomplish this with AS LITTLE IMPACT as possible is already in the works.

Any other task checklists, ideas are appreciated.

2 REPLIES

Re: Network Address scheme change - checklist?

Hi Tsrader,

i would prefer to go in for a complete VLAN setup as u have got more than 800 hosts. initially, i would ask you to setup 2 diff. vlans.

one vlan will be on your existing subnet(with 800 pc's) & other one will be the new subnet(10 plus), then once if you feel comfort, then with a less down time in the night, u can make few of the pc's on a different vlans as per the departments you have.

finally your network will have diff, vlans like....

marketig vlan2

sales vlan3

accounts vlan4 & so on

since it is big network, to make comfort, i would initially setup for 10 computers on different subnet as mentioned above.

hope you understand.

rate this post.

Bronze

Re: Network Address scheme change - checklist?

In addition to Anand's comments...

Generic re-addressing things to look at for potential impacts:

** if you're using it, IOS IP helper addressing for DHCP relaying, etc.

** static routes anywhere (e.g. firewalls, other edges)

** any kind of ACL, route maps, or other filtering in routers, switches, or firewalls

** NAT - e.g. NAT inbound to services

** DHCP server scopes

** DHCP params e.g. default gateway, netmask, etc.

** SLP DA's or other SLP-related infrastructure

** DNS or hosts files

** WINS server(s)

** any servers that have hard to change IP's like NetWare 5.x, 6.0

** anything that uses NDS, eDirectory, Active Directory that stores IP addresses in object attributes (e.g. servers, workstations)

** any AS/400's or mainframes, where touching the LAN interface could potentially kill all open emulator sessions

** any SQL or Intranet/web internally developed stuff where the developer was lazy and hardcoded the IP address instead of using DNS...

** any devices that do LPR/LPD to your printers

** any servers or PCs that participate in routing via RIP (e.g. Windows servers) or that would have static routes defined for some reason

** any SMTP servers that are hardcoded to use IP addresses for relaying and forwarding (to avoid DNS lookup overhead and need to rely on DNS for mail).

** any additional protocols like IPX, APPN, etc. that need to continue to work

John

Views
Helpful
Replies