cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Analyzing tools

k.svrcina
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody have any recommendation for network monitoring and analyzing tools for an enterprise. I have 1 6509 at the core of my network and work like to monitor, do baselining and trending. I have several VLANS and want to see what's going on. I have looked into nGenius, but seems rather expensive especially after you buy all the probes.

6 Replies 6

andrea.meconi
Level 2
Level 2

Look at http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/ for a good tool for monitoring traffic, cpu load, temperature and so on.

americo
Level 1
Level 1

A linux box running SNMP, Nagios, Etherreal and mrtg will solve MANY problems for free. If you aren't a Linux guru it is still worth the effort to learn.

sextrand
Level 1
Level 1

One of the best I have seen is Solarwinds. Solarwinds.net. The engineers edition is great. Orion is a web enabled platform from them as well.

ahmadcisco
Level 1
Level 1

A great network monitoring tool is Compuware's NetworkVantage. You can mirror you VLANs to a port and have a probe plugged into that port on the switch. With this tool you can do baseline and trending reports.

Hope this helps!

- Ahmad

williamsp
Level 1
Level 1

Try What's Up Gold from www.IPSwitch.com. Easy to use and feature rich. Priced right also. I have used it for years to back up my vendor products such as Cisco Works and Optivity. Cisco even packages it with CISCO Works as a small to medium size network package. However, with automatic discovery the network size is a small consideration.

Free demo available at the web site. Give it a try. You can have a map up in about 30 minutes. You can also monitor applications specific applications such as SMTP and HTTP.

Do you have any insight on the NAM be it pros or cons? It seems with that product in place it eliminates having to buy several rmon probes?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: