Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design --- I want to migrate a site from TokenRing to Ethernet

Current Setup

A remote office D is connected to Headoffice L. I have a Nortel Router at D, the serial interface (ppp) links to Head office. LAN1 is token ring and I have 5 departments (total 30 users) connected to tokenring. LAN2 is 100meg ethernet interface an currently not being used.

Proposed Solution

Buy 2xC2950-24 switches, configure VTP Server on both. create 4 vlans, one for each department and also create 1 vlan for all servers. I understand Vlan1 will be default and will stay as management vlan.

Questions I still have

I work in support department, designing Cisco LAN/WAN is new for me. Please help me and answer following questions

Does my proposal make any sence to you? anything I may have missed ?

C2950 are layer2 and I need router to do intervlan routing, How the vlans will be configured on C2950's to achieve?

Where will I connect router's Ethernet interface ?

What do I need to configure on Nortel router's ethernet interface to achieve intervlan routing ?

I have 1 DHPC server, which need to provide Ip to all clients on all VLANs. I also have a WINS server. How do I solve these ?

Is there any problem using Nortel router ? what ? and how do I tackle these ?

Your comment will be much appriciated

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes..you'll need a router to route between VLANs if you have multiple VLANs in your CAT2950 switches. Consider CAT3550 switches which can route between VLANs. Does Nortel support dot1q trunks and does it have fastethernet interface.

In our head office, I have 2X3550 connecting to 2 cisco routers and we have VLANs configured on these switches.

The cost of 2x3550 for a smaller location is too much where I only have max 30 users. I want to know how the config will look on C2950 based on my design. ????

Can someone paste a config out of C2950 VTP server with multiple VLANson it ? this will really help !!

Nortel router have a 100meg ethernet card, but I don't know if it supports dot1q trunk. Any other suggestions ??

Thanks and I appriciate your help

you should try to find out if your nortel router supports dot1Q-trunk-links - as this is essential for doing inter-vlan-routing over one physical link between the switch and the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco