Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Network Design Issues

I've got a reasonable understanding of networking but not on the scale I've been asked to do for a project. There will be approximitaly 600 users, each with a single Cat5 cable to their room. We are to provide internet and VOIP for them.

What kind of switches would you use for this project? and in what sort of configuration? VLAN's?

Finally, are there any good technical resouces for this kind of thing?

Regards,

Alan

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: Network Design Issues

Are you using IP telephony, or just VOIP. If you are using IP telephony, (IP Phones), then you will either need POE (power over ethernet) modules on a Cat 4000 or Cat 6000, or you can use external power adapter for the phones. If you are concerned abt VOIP, you need to be worried only about the WAN bandwidth for using VOIP. For IP telephony, you would need a call manager too. The best bet would be to use Cat 4000s but you might end up using 4 or 5 switches, to incorporate 600 users. Compare the cost of buying of 4 or 5 4000s versus 2 6509s which has more modular slots.

Re: Network Design Issues

Alan, could be a long answer question. How much budget? I work for a large corporation and an office of this size would full into a small/medium size. We would use a two layer model consisting of an access & collapsed core/distribution sitting on c6500 series. Native IOS on core/distribution (MSFC2) interconnecting via Layer 2 to the Access layer switches (able to channel). We have not exceeded 32GB input on any of the chassis as a guide. We only use one vlan per layer 2 as a standard (240 devices\users) which falls nicely into a class C. We have avoided VTP and SPT.

Views
Helpful
Replies