Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Network design question/stopping broadcast storms

I have been seeing a few broadcast storms on my network that have been locking up our switches. Needless to say, it has been an interesting week.

The main site has 500 devices, all connected to hp 4000/8000 switches that feed back via fiber to our data closet. No vlans, just a flat network. Gateway is a pix 525, and then out to our core router then to the internet. All traffic in-house finds one another via the switches, and all other outgoing traffic heads out through the pix. We have 5 remote sites, all connected back to the main site via 1.5mbps ppp bridge. Is this a bad idea? Too many broadcasts coming back. Should I be routing the traffic back. 4 of the remotes sites come back to the main site and out through the pix for their internet access. The 5th site has it's own pix and router for internet access, but the data for in-house applications comes back via that 1.5mbps ppp bridge. My question is, should I be routing this traffic, in particular for this 5th site. If were to route, even static routing, would the default-gateway for those users be the router that feeds back to the main site, or the inside of the pix at their remote site which connects them to the internet. I also have users connecting to a vpn concentrator at that site. If I were to use the pix as the default gateway still, would traffic make it's way back to the main site for network applications. My thinking is that I should set their default gateway as the router back to the main site, set up static routes on that router to point traffic destined for our lan, 192.168.4.0, 20.0, etc. and then set the default route for all other traffic to point to the pix on their end. Would this work. I am having trouble pinpointing where the broadcasts are coming from, but am wondering if all this bridging and having a large flat network could be the cause. Sorry I don't have a diagram. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY

Re: Network design question/stopping broadcast storms

check it out this may be helpfull to you also:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_25s/conf/bcastsup.htm

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Views
Helpful
Replies