cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design:

jtm
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to determine the best hardware configuration for a web hosting site. I will have a 100 mbps line to start with and add more as needed, up to 4. I was thinking a Cisco 3640 with some type of network module maybe the NM-16ESW. I will need some type of load balancing for this also. Is there anyway to have a bandwidth manager on the other side of the router coming out of the optional gigabit Ethernet connection. Or can I just let the Cisco IOS take care of this and distribute the bandwidth to other ports that need it?

Thanks a lot for any help,

Todd Musgrove

2 Replies 2

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

The Cisco IOS will automatically load share over, up to 4, equal cost paths, but on a per session, rather than a per packet, basis so you will not necessarily get equal utilisation.

You can force the router to load share on a per packet basis by turning off fast switching, 'no ip route-cache', on the interface, but this is NOT recommended as it will severely impact the performance of the router.

Exactly what type of module would allow for this type of bandwidth growth of the network. Would a etherswitch module or just a ethernet module be more versatile?