cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Diagramming Conventions & Best Practices

gronkhead
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for some material on best practices for network documentation and network diagrams. The kinds of things I'm interested in are document layout, Layer 2 vs. Layer 3 conventions, common mistakes, and of course, sample documents!

Documentation in the field can be a very subjective thing. My goal is to end up with a set of templates to use internally and with clients for clear, concise network diagrams and associated documentation.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

- Darren

31 Replies 31

I would also be interested in receiving copies of the sample documents.

al_tusa@hotmail.com

Thanks

i wouldnt mind one too please

Could you please email me to vishnu.reddy28@gmail.com

Hi Brad,

I'd love to receive the diagrams too please (tinoreca@hotmail.com)

Thank you

We are getting serious about network documentation and I would surely benefit from any examples you could send. My email address is mwm2863@bjc.org.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

i would also be interested in receiving copies of the sample documents.

my email address is

macximuce@hotmail.com

I would be very interested in seeing sanitized versions of your drawings format. Our head engineer is considering doing all our network drawings in a similar fashion. Thank You for your prompt response, JBM

Hi Kathleen

I'd love to receive the diagrams too please (tinoreca@hotmail.com)

Thank you

kmataranglo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Like Kathleen, I would recommend using Visio, and documenting as much information as possible, but without bombarding the reader with so much information at one time.

This is why it is better to document L1 and L3 solutions and configurations I think.

That normally has all the pertinent information needed.

Keith

I would also be interested in receiving copies of the sample documents. Always looking to improve where I can

jmesser@cme.com

Hi all,

I would also be interested in any network docs. I am always looking for ways to improve my network and my skills.

Thanks,

Bryan

email: bhealy1975@yahoo.com

kholford
Level 1
Level 1

To everyone that requested samples from me, I'll try to get those to you by Monday. I completely forgot to check back at this forum.

Kathleen

Kathleen

I am also interested in recieving a copy of the documentation.

Thank You

Chuck

cmielke@iengi.com

Kathleen

I am also interested in recieving a copy of the documentation.

Thanks

Jefferson

jefferson.soletti@copel.com

Hi,

I would be as well very happy for the samples!!!

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: