Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Network Management - SNMP Devices or Manageable Devcies Required ???

Anyone knows If I am using the Network Management Tool (Such as Cisco Work 2000), to detect the performance of all my networking devices, is it true that all of my networking devices (switches,hubs and routers) must be SNMP enabled or in other words all switches and hubs must manageable ?

Please guide.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Network Management - SNMP Devices or Manageable Devcies Requ

Yes, each of your devices that your NMS (network management station) will comunicate with using SNMP must be managed (have an SNMP agent on them) or managable via SNMP.

Hope this helps,

Don

Blue

Yes, the device must have SNMP enabled and community strings configured on them. You can refer to: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/12.html for the procedure.

It is simple: all devices you want know anything about need to be manageable. When using a product like MRTG you will only be able to monitor SNMP enabled devices. It does not matter if down the road there is a hub that is not manageable as long as you don't want to collect data from the ports of that hub.

Regards, Maarten Sjouw

Views
Helpful
Replies