cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Monitoring

grunky
Level 1
Level 1

At a remote pop we have a t1 coming into a 1605R. Eth0 is plugged into a swtich that goes off to our customers and eth1 empty.

I'd like to be able to monitor network traffic at that pop. I first thought of plugging a network monitoring device into the swtich and configuring SPAN, then I was notified this was a unmanaged switch.

Then I foolishly thought of making eth1 and eth0 in the same bridging group. That would make no difference since bridging wouldn't forward all traffic - basically act like another switch port.

So to monitor traffic at that remote pop I can either do one of the following:

Remove the unmanaged swtich - replace it w/ a hub

or

Remote the unmanaged switch - replace w/ a managable switch

Basically I need to monitor traffic and I'm not seeing a way to do so w/ the current equipment on site. Unless theirs a way to configure the 1605R to forward all traffic on eth0 to forward out eth1.

Any suggestions? I'm needing to pull a rabit out of my hat... :(

1 Reply 1

If you have the proper IOS you can use the IP route-cache flow statement on the interface and then issue a show ip cache flow to see active ip flows. I use this mostly as a troubleshooting techinque but it can at least give you an idea of what might be chewing up a bunch of bandwidth.

If bandwidth usage is all your needing to monitor, there are inexpensive products out there that will allow you to monitor bandwidth usage.