Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Network Monitoring

At a remote pop we have a t1 coming into a 1605R. Eth0 is plugged into a swtich that goes off to our customers and eth1 empty.

I'd like to be able to monitor network traffic at that pop. I first thought of plugging a network monitoring device into the swtich and configuring SPAN, then I was notified this was a unmanaged switch.

Then I foolishly thought of making eth1 and eth0 in the same bridging group. That would make no difference since bridging wouldn't forward all traffic - basically act like another switch port.

So to monitor traffic at that remote pop I can either do one of the following:

Remove the unmanaged swtich - replace it w/ a hub

or

Remote the unmanaged switch - replace w/ a managable switch

Basically I need to monitor traffic and I'm not seeing a way to do so w/ the current equipment on site. Unless theirs a way to configure the 1605R to forward all traffic on eth0 to forward out eth1.

Any suggestions? I'm needing to pull a rabit out of my hat... :(

1 REPLY

Re: Network Monitoring

If you have the proper IOS you can use the IP route-cache flow statement on the interface and then issue a show ip cache flow to see active ip flows. I use this mostly as a troubleshooting techinque but it can at least give you an idea of what might be chewing up a bunch of bandwidth.

If bandwidth usage is all your needing to monitor, there are inexpensive products out there that will allow you to monitor bandwidth usage.

Views
Helpful
Replies