Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Performance Tools

I am looking for some tools to help me test the performance of a Cisco Catalyst IP network. I have downloaded IPerf and this seems to offer what I am looking for - it is a client/server application and offers UDP streaming at user configurable rates. So I can effectively set up a Server that sits and listens on a UDP port for incoming data and reports back packet loss, jitter etc. The client can send UDP packets to this server at different rates and I should have some meaningful statistics as well - all sounds great.

Now, for a quick test I set up a Server (Compaq Proliant ML330 with Compaq/Intel 10/100 NIC (latest drivers etc). I then set up an IBM laptop with an integrated Intel 10/100 NIC. Both NICs and the switch ports are set to Auto-Negotiate and the reported speed/duplex is 100/Full. If I run the IPerf Client on the laptop I cannot seem to run over 10Mbs without errors being logged. At the moment whilst I am testing I have the 2 PC's on the same VLAN and on the same switch so there shouldn't be any routing 'delays'. I am running Windows 2000 on both machines.

I did some testing recently with Linux as the OS that seemed to perform better but my Linux/Unix skills are pretty non-existent, plus the laptops our guys use all run Windows 2000. I really just want to test end-to-end connectivity and ensure there are no errors/packet drops through the network path. I kmow something like Smartbits would be better but I am not sure we will have one available and I would like to make some generic tests/scripts that I can use as a template for testing.

Thanks

Andy

2 Replies 2

ERIK LAWAETZ
Level 1
Level 1

This may seem as overkill for your application, and I have no experience with it myself, but none the less:

http://www.ixiacom.com/enterprise/EnterpriseSolutions.php

Not really what I am looking for. As I said IPerf 'seems' to offer what I want, its just it either doesn't perform well under Windows 2000 or the machines I am using cannot drive the NICs at any where near full-rate? Compaq Proliant Server and an IBM Thinkpad?

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: