Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Network Performance

Hi

I want to know how to check network performance. the procedure which i know is check by giving a ping command and from we come to know from reply command. if its 2 milisecond its ok.

is this the only procedure to check or is there some other commands or software as well.

Regards.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Network Performance

Hello,

there are loads of tools available, the problem is that most of them cost money. Ping gives an indication of varying response times, you could use a tool such as Ping Plotter (www.pingplotter.com) to continuously send pings and even have alerts sent to you when defined thresholds are exceeded.

You could also use MRTG (www.mrtg.org), which is a freeware tool and lets you graph anything that can be approached with SNMP.

I guess the best approach would be to create a benchmark of your own network, which would give you a guideline and a value to refer to.

Regards,

Georg

Purple

Re: Network Performance

Also keep in mind if you are pinging network gear the response times will tend to be longer as ping is relegated to a lower priority on the cpu . For actual response you need to ping thru the device to say a pc located on a particular lan .

Views
Helpful
Replies