Views
Helpful
Replies

network redundancy

net_newbie
Level 1
Level 1

Sirs:

We're currently using two 2511 routers in our office with two different leased line links. Here's the picture:

first router: directly connected to Hawaii via leased line.

second router: directly connected to San Francisco via leased line.

What we're currently doing right now is when link from Hawaii goes down, we re-route the traffic to our San Francisco link manually or vice versa.

Question:

How do I implement re-routing automatically in such a way that when our link from Hawaii has a problem (i.e. goes down), it automatically passes the network traffic to our San Francisco link. And on the other hand, when our link from San Francisco goes down, it will automatically re-routes the traffic to our Hawaii link without doing the re-routing manually.

Need your ideas here.

Thanks.

Benjamin

8 Replies 8

okenobi
Level 1
Level 1

what kind of routing protocols are you using ?

which role playes each line ? are they both active or one is backup ?

you can implement backup in several ways but give some more data on you network ..

Sirs:

Ok, I'm currently using IP and both links are active. Some IP addresses are routed to our San Francisco link and the other IP addresses are routed to our Hawaii link this is why if one of the links goes down, some of the users cant use the internet except if we re-route the traffic manually towards the other link.

How do I implement traffic re-routing automatically, in such a way that if my San Francisco link goes down it will automatically re-routes the traffic to our Hawaii link and when our Hawaii link goes down it will automatically re-route the traffic to our San Francisco link without doing the manual re-routing.

Please help ...

I'm a little confused..sorry...how many sites do you have? Hawaii and San Francisco? Or is there a HQ site somewhere in between?

Thanks!

net_newbie
Level 1
Level 1

Sirs:

You did'nt get me. I have to leased line links and they're both active. Some IP blocks are routed to our San Francisco gateway and other IP blocks are routed to our Hawaii gateway.With this existing setup, if our Hawaii gateway goes down, we manually re-routes the traffic to the other link which is San Francisco. And if San Francisco gateway goes down, we ro-route the traffic to our Hawaii link - MANUALL.

Question:

How do i implement re-routing automatically ? That if my San Francisco link or gateway goes down, it will automatically pass the traffic to the other link which is Hawaii and vice versa.

Thanks ...

Why not run HSRP and track the lease line interfaces. When you say "Some IP blocks are routed to our San Francisco gateway and other IP blocks are routed to our Hawaii gateway" does this mean more then 1 IP subnet on the LAN? IF so the router connected to Hawaii can be configured as the primary default gateway for the users needing to go to Hawaii and the San Fran router would back it up, and vice versa on the default gateway for user going to San Fran.

hvn
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Benjamin,

First of all u have not pointed which routing protocol r u using for the links.I assume u r using static routes for yr two seperate links.Routing protocols like BGP does give great oppurtunity for redundancy by advertising the networks to the coresponding EBGP peers,but for that u and yr provider should be running BGP between your routers.If running u can easily provide redundancy by advertising the networks to the two seperate G/W's with different weights so that if one G/W goes down the network will come thru other active one.

if u r using static routes,then I have a suggestion But I have not implemented before and have doubt about its success.My suggestion is to put two static entries ( default route if yr network is a stub network)pointing to each G/W on yr two routers.

For Eg: In router1

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 hawaii router

and 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 sanfransisco router 255

255 is administrative distance ,the default route has a default admin distance of 0.You have to give default entries in yr router2 also

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 sanfransisco router

and 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 hawaii router 255.

because of admin distance the packets will take route with less admin distance...so if yr hawaii G/W goes down still it has got routes in other router to utilise sanfransisco link. I am not 100% sure whetherit work or not,but its always good to try it out ,if u r using Static routes.

Best of luck.

Homin.

al_pruitt
Level 1
Level 1

You never said what routing protocol you were using. Set the routers up using OSPF, RIP, EIGRP, or IGRP, and I think the problem will take care of it's self. Any of these will reroute traffic around the down circuit.

danny.allen
Level 1
Level 1

You can run multiple HSRP groups. Example...

net A

net B -------------------HSRP IP 1-----

|

|--IP 3SF

|--IP 4HI

net C

net D--------------------HSRP IP 2----

IP 1 is the default gateway for net A, net B. IF SF goes down, HI will pickup routing responsibilites for these networks. Vice versa for net C, net D. Specific commands available on documentation website. I think this would get you what you want.