Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

new 1605

I have a 1605 which was provisioned through an ISP, but at the end of the lease will be mine. I need some assistance on the best way to clear the router and then set it up for our use. It will be connected to a point to point T1 from AT&T (from us to them as our isp). I will be doing my NAT on my firewall. Where can I get simple instructions as to how to set my router up to route all traffic in and out.

I would also be interested in knowing if it is better to do the NAT at the router vs firewall - firewall is Checkpoint on an IBM w 2 @ 750 PIII and 512 ram.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: new 1605

You clear the existong config by issuing a 'write erase' from enable mode and then reloading the router. This will put you in the initial configuration dialog which will prompt you to enter a simple configuration. Once you have entered this, you need to save it with a 'write memory' command.

If you need to find out what the existing enable password is, check the following url -

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/474/index.shtml

The simplest way to route all traffic is to put in a defailt static route to your ISP such as

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0

Your ISP will need to have a static route pointing to your lan.

Re: new 1605

Regarding the NAT portion of your question, leave that to your firewall. Especially when comparing a 16xx series router to a Checkpoint firewall. Let the router route and the firewall firewall, I say.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content