cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new 6500 causing network card problem

rpalacio
Level 1
Level 1

we just recently change the core switch from cat 5000 to cat 6506..after 2 days we experience a number of connnection problem...(eg. pinging shows intermittent, timeout, sometimes ok) we have replaced the network card and its ok..the 6500 is just on layer 2 still and the ports are on their default settings...

i dont think core switch contributed this problem but just worrying around 8 network cards given the same problem today and dont know wat will happen tommorow....net cards are 3com 3c905c-tx-m...

the admin said there is a nachi virus on the network, but changing the network card with same model and using also the existing operating system is solving the problem.

what do you think is the issue in here because the customer is blaming it now on the new core switch 6500 and wanting us to put back the old 5000

thanks a lot

4 Replies 4

subbarao.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Below document may help you.There is a bug associated with the NIC you are using. Just apply the work around given.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00800a7af0.shtml

HTH

kkalaycioglu
Level 4
Level 4

If it's solved replacing the NICs I think nothing to say about 6500. Anyway, you can check you've used the same port settings when migrating to 6500 (speed/duplex settings especially). You can try to use manual speed / duplex settings on oth host and switch sides.

Regards.

hi,,,ive found some addtional info...the users are attached to the cascaded 3550-24 ..the csacades are thru gbic sx..then 1 of this gbic sx is connected to the core switch 8port gbic module.

pinging within the cascaded 3550 is giving me no problem...the pinging problem is only experienced if they ping fr the 35550 users to the hosts attached to the core.

ive checked the settings of the gbic ports on the core and it is trunk with isl..the same is true with the setting on the gbic on the 3550.

Ive seen the ff. error while am on the console;

"Cat6506> (enable) sh2003 Dec 25 13:56:44 %SYS-2-MOD_NOINBANDRESPONSE:Module 1 no

t responding over inband

2003 Dec 25 13:56:44 %SYS-2-MOD_INBANDTEST:Module 2 error detected ... testing

2003 Dec 25 13:56:44 %SYS-2-MOD_INBANDTESTOK:Module 2 test ok. Check possible fa

ult in standby supervisor.

2003 Dec 25 13:57:10 %SYS-2-MOD_INBANDOK:Module 1 inband ok"

In this scenario, the module 2 was the active supervisor.

What Ive done after seeing this error is Ive rebooted the core and the module 1 has become the active. And this has solved the problem on the network cards. But am still observing it.

But the ff. are still questiuonable on me;

1. the error i could see is just some inband things.

2. Is module 1 supposed to be the active supervisor all the time unless it fails. I said this because originally mod 1 was the active and ive reset it just to see that redudndancy is working. It has remained on this status since then. It is in this case (mod 2 active) where i saw the above error and causing lots of timeouts on numbers of hosts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: