Views
Helpful
Replies

New switch setup

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm configuring a new switch using the setup wizard. During the process it asks me if I want to configure an IP on each interface. Could someone please explain why it is asking me to configure an IP on each interface? I thought switches don't need ip's on interfaces. What advantage does having an IP on every interface have?

Thanks in advanace

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Dan,

Only layer 3 switches can be configured for ip on all the interfaces so that the layer 2 ports can be used as layer 3 physical ports but for normal layer 2 switches you cannot assign an ip address on physical interface but yes you can assign an ip address on one logical interface which will be a vlan interface so that you can manage that layer 2 switch remotely and need not console into it everytime for configuration and troubleshooting.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Dan,

Only layer 3 switches can be configured for ip on all the interfaces so that the layer 2 ports can be used as layer 3 physical ports but for normal layer 2 switches you cannot assign an ip address on physical interface but yes you can assign an ip address on one logical interface which will be a vlan interface so that you can manage that layer 2 switch remotely and need not console into it everytime for configuration and troubleshooting.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hi

The cisco switch model is 371098-001 using IOS 12.2(25)SED. From what I can read the switch is a layer 2 switch. With this in mind why would it ask for layer 3 ip addresses to be configured?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

With the model you have posted it seems to be 3750 switch which is a layer 3 switch.

WHY I am guessing it as 3750 because 12.2(25)SED release is for 3750/3560 but your model starts with 37.... which is making my guess more for 3750 but let it be 3750 or 3560 both are layer 3 switches.

HTH

Ankur

hi ankur,

i just want to know from where i can get list like which ios support wich platform and all...

i know that IOS future Navigator but if you have good link then can you give me...or do you have any tips for the same then please tell me

thank you

devang

Hi Devang,

What I generally keep handy is www.cisco.com/univercd

and there from the drop down from the section of "SWITCHES" select any switch and you will get all the IOS release for that switch.

Regards,

Ankur

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi Dan,

yes you can assing the IP address to each and every port of the switch if it is layer 3 switch...you can use such a switch as layer 2 as well as layer 3 switch...by default all the port are behave for layer 2 and you can conver the port in to the layer 3 port for routed port using one command like

interface fa 0/0

no switchport

so you can assing IP address to each port by converting them into the layer 3...

but in layer 2 you can assing ip to only logical interface..

hope this helps

rate the post if it helps

regards

Devang