Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

New to 3550's

I understand without SVI on each group of ports I can't route traffic through my Gig 0/1 connection. I need to be able to put the listed networks below all on my

3550 Version 12.1(22)EA1a switch. I have no problems adding the vlan's nor getting the trunk to be seen by our L3 Nortel 8600 core switch. At least it comes up

and you can ping through the first set of ports which I understand is everything in vlan1. I can't seem to get the other vlan's to pass traffic through the trunk.

Ports 1,3,5,7,9,11 192.168.34.0 wireless devices network

Ports 2,4,6,8,10,12 192.168.31.0 Printers using IP

Ports 13,15,17,19,21,23 172.16.0.0 Users Computers

Ports 14,16,18,20,22,24 192.168.33.0 Other IP devices

Any ideas, my ultimate goal is not to use any more IP's than I have to as I need to deploy this same switch in over 50 locations campus wide. If I have to start

using a IP for SVI's on each of those networks I will be in real trouble and will run out with what I have available. The 172 network does have to be able to get to

their printers but nothing else.

Here is my config what am I doing wrong.

4 REPLIES

Re: New to 3550's

Hi,

As mentioned that the trunk comes up between 3550 and 8600, are you able to ping the devices in their respective vlans on 3550 and Nortel ??

If you dont want routing to be done on 3550 then you have to set the routing somewhere else on other router or L3 device that will do the routing between your devices.

What exactly you want to accomplish. Do you want to set routing on Nortel 8600 ???

As I see that you want Vlan 172 to use the printers only then go ahead and enable the routing between these 2 subnets only. i.e either you can have one Ip on each Svi's and this will do teh routing and if your nortel is capable of doing the routing then you can have routign enable only between these 2 subnets.

HTH,

-amit singh

Yes anything on those ports 1,3,5,7,9,11 work fine and see our entire network. The trouble comes in when I am trying to get the other vlan's to see the rest of the network. I could do the routing on the Nortel or the 3550 however I guess I am wanting the best of both worlds here. I don't want to have to use anymore Ip's than possible as I don't have them. I want to be able to use a 3550 as a L2 device and see those other networks so users can use their printers etc. I guess I am wanting the Nortel to do the routing and keep from having to assign svi ip's to those group of ports.

Purple

Even if the nortel box does the routing you are still going to need an 1 address per 3550 to manage the switch . The rest of it is really a matter of trunking things where you want them to go .

Purple

Don't see where you created the L2 vlans . Do a "show vlan" and all the vlans you want to use must show up in there ,if not then you must create them . Just because you used the switchport access vlan XX command on the port does not mean it is created . To create the vlan at the config prompt do a "vlan XX" to create the vlan . A little confused on the rest of your info. It looks as though you only have 4 networks . If you have fiber to all your other locations you should be able to just trunk to the other switches and you will need only 1 address per switch to manage it . Ideally it would be good to have just a management vlan to support just the switch management. Any way you look at it if you want to manage the switches which you really have to it will take 50 ip addresses to manage your switches .

If you have more than 1 switch in each location you may be able to cluster them but I haven't had the opportunity to implement that so I can't comment.

Views
Helpful
Replies