cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to cisco products.. Quick question...

ewieczorek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I'm new to working with routers and switches. I'm starting to teach myself. My organization has provided me with a 4500 router and 2912 switch to practice with.

I have an ip address assigned to E0 on the router. I have issued a "no shut" command on the E0 interface. I have an ip address assigned to the switch. I have connected the two cisco devices by a standard CAT5 cable. I have a link light.

When I issue a "sh int e0", on the router, I see that it is up, but that the protocol is down???

I cannot ping the switch from the router.

When I connect a pc to the switch and configure the nic accordingly, I can ping the switch from the pc. I can also ping that pc, from the switch, when I console into it.

Any documentation/suggestions that can help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thank-you.

3 Replies 3

Kris.keen
Level 1
Level 1

Dont you need crossovers for router to switch??

b.shoresh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

No, you don't need cross cable to connect Router to Switch. You will need a cross cable just to connect switch to switch or router to router.

I think the problem might be with the duplex and/or speed. The e0 works 10Mbps Half-duplex. You should check if the port on the switch, to which the router is connected, is not configured to Full-duplex and/or 100Mbps. Also, maybe try and configure this switch port to be half-duplex speed 10Mbps.

Boaz.

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

on the 4500 e0 set the media-type to 10baseT.