Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New to switching

Hello. I am a new user and recently installed 2 point to point sites using 2610 routers. Now I have 2 catalyst 2924 switch which will be install at my site. The question is how would these 2 catalyst help in my lan/wan enviroment.

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: New to switching

Hi

Bassically you can provide dedicated bandwidth to each client on a port

on the switch.

If you would have a FastEthernet interface on the router you could also

make a trunk between the router and the switch an have more than on

vlan configured on the switch to communicate to the remote site.

Regards

Roger

Hello. How can I make them all work. Could I connect each of the 3 routers to one switch? Or do I configure any ports on the switch?

Thanks

Hi,

It all depends on how you are going to use this 2 switches in your LAN. As one friend mentioned you can have seperate VLANs on your switches and make each port a trunk port on you r switch and connect those ports to the router and communicate with the remote network you have installed. But I don't know whether you'll be familiar in configuring VLAN and all. So I think you can forget about configuring the VLAN and consider a scenario like one I describe below.

PC's----->Switch1----->(e0)Router(s0)------>(s0)Router------>Switch-------->PC's

(e1)

|

|

PC's-------->Switch2

You can build a network as in this diagram with 2 subnets in your LAN from your 2 router ethernet ports .One port connected to switch1 with a subnet and Other ethernet port connected to switch 2 using another subnet. Hope now you are clear with what to do.

If any doubts reply again.

Rgds,

Homin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content