Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Newbie in need of some help

I just purchased 2 2501 routers (cisco)and a 2502 router,plus a 1924 standard 24 port switch.I have no cables or documentation but i know they work.What i need to know is what cables and connectors will i need so i can do lab excercises,to train for the ccna,ccnp and ccie.Where can i get these labs and will i need more equipment to be able to accomplish this.Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES

Re: Newbie in need of some help

You will need more equipments, 3 more routers should be fine, for your CCNP + CCIE lab.

For CCNA, 3 router combo should be fine. You will need min of 3 serial cables ( back to back DB-60 to DB-60 - you can get some off EBAY) , to connect the routers in a triangular format. You can configure 3 vlans on the 1924, and assign them to three ports and hook each router to each port, so that its equivalent to each router ethernet port connected individual switches.

For CCNP, you will need more routers, to practice, OSPF, EIGRP and BGP. For the CCIE you would need a 3550 + ISDN + ATM equipments. For testing VoIP , you would need 2600s, coz the 2500 doesnt support voice cards.

Hope that helps

thanks for the advice i will purchase the additional equipment.Which routers would i need for the ccnp and do you know of where i could get some labs to practice practice and practice and then practice some more?

2500s would be fine for you, or even 1600 would do the job, for you (they are cheaper)...for the CCNP. But thinking ahead about CCIE, to work on ATM, and Voice, you would need 2600s ( a min of 2). I would say, buy a mix of both, 2600 and 2500 so that it would help for both your CCNP and CCIE

Thanks again for your advice i will look into buying 2 2600 and another 2501.Now for the last question,sorry but what cables will i need for that setup.I have just one more question,how or where do i find a tftp server that could use to upload a cisco image software or cisco ios for upgrading to a current ios.I hope i'm making sense.Do you have to have a tftp server in order to do this,or do you have to know the ios image and ip address of the tftp server and make sure that the image you seek is there.If so where do you go to retrieve the files.Again i hope this makes sense.Thanks in advance

You need to have a CCO login, to download IOS images from Cisco Software Center. You will need a tftp server for uploading IOS images into your router. You can download free TFTP servers, at www.tucows.com, www.softseek.com etc. Once you install the TFTP server, the IOS image you downloaded from the Cisco Software center, should be placed in the TFTP folder of the server, and from the router, you need to copy the image into the flash of the router.

Since you will be buying a 2600, and if you plan to use a wic-2t smart serial card, the connector is small, compared to a db-60 connector available on the 2500. So to connect between a 2500 and 2600, you will need a back - to back serial cable, with one end smart serial while other end db-60. You can order cables at www.anthonypanda.com or get some off ebay.com

To connect between 2500 and another 2500, (both are db-60 serial connectors) you will need a db60 to db60 back to back serial cable.

Views
Helpful
Replies