Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

newBie on Cisco

Well i want to buy a Cisco Router ...

I want to connect 6 diffrent subnet of my lan .. but i have a requirement i want to block certian MAC address on router from reaching the other subnets .. is that possible ?

Also what series router will be suitable for me ?

thankx

4 REPLIES

Re: newBie on Cisco

You can find lots of information on cisco routers on the main cisco website. First of all you don't give enough information to recommend a certain model and second I think that you can look at the specifications on your own and pick a suitable one.

Are you having any wan connectivity too ? You could just run your network with a Cisco 1700. (like a 1720). You have two slots where you can have either additional ethernet ports or wan ports. The unit comes built in with a fast ethernet port. You can either configure the router to route between vlans or you could configure one primary subnet and 5 secondary subnets, to route between the different subnets.

To do vlans, you will need either a cisco switch or a diff vendor capable of doing vlans. A trunk needs to be established between the switch and the router. If you use cisco switch, you can enable ISL trunking or if its a different vendor switch, you can use 802.1q trunking.

You could even get away with a 3550 switch (layer 3 switch) if you just want to route between the subnets and want no wan connectivity.

No sir i am not going to use WAN link ..

Thank you for the reply plz tell me if router or a cisco block MAC address ?

also just to give me a idea how much these models cost approx ?

thanks again

The cisco switch can filter based on MAC address. (CAM filters). The router does have a MAC address based access-list but it does not work on IP protocol.

the 3550 with Enhanced multilayer image costs you about, 5000USD list price. If you buy, off a reseller, you should get some discounts.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content