Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie on IOS

Hello Cisco experts, :

There is a pending issue I still can not solve on Cisco IOS.

Almost every systems i've worked with count with the "roll-back" feature ... it means that there is always a posibility to automaticaly undo the last changes made if there is not a commit order within some time (5 mins for example).

It is very usefull especially when trying a new setting or when you are not 100% secure about a configuration.

So, every time I need to apply a risky change on my configuration I must  pray for not to loose management connection or turn down some service.

My question is:

Is there a similar feature  to "roll-back" on IOS ?

If not .... how I can quickly undo a bad command (lets suppose I did not loose mgmt connection)?

Any doc/aticle related would be great.

Thanks.

Leo.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

I know its a function on IOS-XR & XE

I found this link, think of it as a starting point

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/configuration/guide/cf_config-rollback.html#wp1146514

View solution in original post

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Yes unfortunately there is no such command in native IOS. The only "workaround" is to use a timed reload. It works like this:

#reload in 10

! Tell the router to reload in 10 minutes

#

! Config changes all OK? If so:

#reload cancel

So if you lose contact with the router during your config changes the router will reboot in 10 minutes and revert back to your original config. Not ideal but better than nothing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

I know its a function on IOS-XR & XE

I found this link, think of it as a starting point

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/fundamentals/configuration/guide/cf_config-rollback.html#wp1146514

EXCELLENT!!!

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Yes unfortunately there is no such command in native IOS. The only "workaround" is to use a timed reload. It works like this:

#reload in 10

! Tell the router to reload in 10 minutes

#

! Config changes all OK? If so:

#reload cancel

So if you lose contact with the router during your config changes the router will reboot in 10 minutes and revert back to your original config. Not ideal but better than nothing.