Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie problem, Frac T1, static routes

I have two 1721 routers connecting two networks over a fractional T1 line. I have static routes on each router to the network connected to the other router, mapped to the interface, (between the two routers), on the other router. I can telnet between the routers, and even onto a UNIX machine on the other side, if I telnet from one to the other. The problem is, they won't route traffic through. I can ping from one router to the network interface of the other router, but I cannot ping from one router to anything on the network on the other side of the other router. I can ping from either router to the attached network, but not to the network attached to the other router.

I even tried enabling RIP to see if it worked, but it didn't. I don't need to set a clock rate on one of the routers, do I? The interface commands show a Fractional T1 CSU/DSU using HDLC encapsulation.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Lee

9 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: newbie problem, Frac T1, static routes

Lee,

Make sure that the subnet masks and default gateways are set properly on the hosts.

Mark

I believe they are. These networks are actually currently working through other routers to other networks.

I set a static route on the main server that I need to get to, to route to the new router, for the newly connected network. But it still can't be pinged from the other router. (It can be pinged from the connected router.)

Lee

Bronze

So, if I understand correctly, the default gateways are the other routers?

If so, set up static routes in those other routers pointing the remote networks to the router that terminates your fractional T1. Also include static routes on these original routers pointing the WAN network address to the same router.

Alternatively, if the original routers are running a routing protocol, have these two routers run the same protocol.

HTH

Mark

Yes, the other routers are the default gateways for the hosts on the one network. They belong to another company, so I will have to get them to add the route, but I have to make sure mine is working properly before I do so, because they are currently routing the network I am connecting through the T1, through another congested, but working, route. I am connecting doctor's offices and the hospital, so I can't have any down time. I must be sure my route is up and operational before having them change their routes.

I don't know what routing protocols the others are running, and I don't want my routers to update their's, (especially for internet, etc.), that's why I wanted to only use static routes.

Thanks,

Lee

Silver

how about a sh run from each router

Silver

Are you sure you have ip routing enabled. If you can ping the other connected interface, but can not ping the remote network, that might be the case. Try typing

ip routing

in global configuration mode.

You can also give a dump of your sh ip route.

Yes, I wasn't getting anything from "sh ip route" until I enabled "ip routing" the other day. The static routes show up correctly when I enter the "sh ip route" command.

Thanks,

Lee

Bronze

Lee,

So, if I understand correctly, the default gateways are the other routers?

If so, set up static routes in those other routers pointing the remote networks to the new, local router that terminates your fractional T1. Also include static routes on these original routers pointing the WAN network address to the same router. Be sure to do this at each end.

Alternatively, if the original routers are running a routing protocol, have these two routers run the same protocol.

HTH

Mark

Bronze

Sorry, my message appeared twice.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content