Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Cisco Support Community site will be in read only mode on Dec14, 2017 from 12:01am PST to 11:30am for standard maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience.

joe

Newbie question on Cisco 2900 XL Switch

Hello.

I just got a 2900 XL from a friend. I have not used switches before. I was wondering - is it possible to use internet sharing through a switch? I currently have my cable modem plugged into a NIC on my computer, then another NIC going out to the switch, so Windows XP handles the sharing. Is there any way I can plug my modem right into the switch, or would I need a router?

Thanks in advance,

Jeo

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Newbie question on Cisco 2900 XL Switch

You should be able to use your XL switch to do this. Make sure all the interfaces are in one VLAN. By default all interfaces are in vlan 1

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/lan_switching/3.html#xlvlan

joe

Thanks very much. That link helped greatly, I appreciate it.

I don't think that will really work. I think what he's looking for is NAT so that it'll look like he's only using one IP address to his cable modem. I forget, do the 2900's support NAT? I doubt it since they're main focus is switching and not something like NAT which is usually accomplished via a router.

If your cable modem supports multiple hosts (using it's internal dhcp server)you should just connect all the PC´s (NIC's using dhcp) and the cable modem to the switch. Use a cross-over cable for the cable modem and forget about Internet Connection Sharing !

All the ports must be at the same Vlan, so that network traffic (including dhcp broadcasts) reaches every host.

Hope this helped.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content