Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

newbie question on the cat 4506

i am going to be setting up a 4506 with a sup II and had a few questions:

in the best practices guide, it recommends that user data not be on vlan 1, what is the best way to achieve this while still being able to manage the switch.

also, i noticed that there is a command, set switchacceleration, that is supposed to speed up processing on the 4000 series with sup II, is this stable and/or recommended to use and also is there anything else that i have to configure to get that to work.

thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: newbie question on the cat 4506

To go across vlans you need to do routing. If you don't have any internal or external router or router modules, then you can go across vlans without routing..

Bronze

This should work but only the mrtg workstation will be the one that can talk to both vlans..

you have two option with this box.

Either enabling routing thru that-- which depend if you want to access the switches from the other vlan....

or just use this box to access the switches and data..

For the small network, this shouldn't cause any problem.. but not for big networks.. so this is not a scalable solution.. :)

6 REPLIES
Bronze

The reason to separate management traffic to the data traffic. but in the data world, u can have broadcast strom or some problems and you can't access the switch to do any troubleshooting, plus if you have more vlans , may be some broadcast strom can cause high cpu, and all other vlans on the switch may get affected. so it is usaully recommeded to use separate vlan only for management for all the switches and management workstation in the network

set switchacceleration definitely help if you are not using the uplink GBIC ports on the supervisor. If you are using those ports, you can use this feature unless you have the backplane module

Here is the URL that might explain you in more detail

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/7_4/config/swacc.htm

Thanks

Erum

thanks Erum, i understand about the switchacceleration but i have one more question on the vlans. if i was to create a vlan (vlan2) to put all of the data traffic ports on, this would separate it from the management vlan (vlan1) would i be able to have a port that belonged to both vlans for management and data or do i need to simply have one system connected to the vlan1 for monitoring (i know that the sup II does not do layer 3) also, i plan on using mrtg to monitor the traffic on certain ports, if i was to have the mrtg system on vlan2, would i be able to monitor the system via snmp or would the system need to be on vlan1 (and have two nics on the system, one in vlan1 to monitor via snmp and then one in vlan2 so that i can access the results)?

thanks

Scott

Bronze

To go across vlans you need to do routing. If you don't have any internal or external router or router modules, then you can go across vlans without routing..

one last question, just to make sure that i understand:

lets say i have the following:

user network:

VLAN2

10.0.0.0/24

Management network:

VLAN1

10.0.1.0/24

switch inband management:

Management Box (with syslog, bb4 (similar to whats up), mrtg (snmp)):

one nic on vlan2 and one on vlan1

does this look like it would work and does it look like a good design?

thanks

Bronze

This should work but only the mrtg workstation will be the one that can talk to both vlans..

you have two option with this box.

Either enabling routing thru that-- which depend if you want to access the switches from the other vlan....

or just use this box to access the switches and data..

For the small network, this shouldn't cause any problem.. but not for big networks.. so this is not a scalable solution.. :)

thanks for your help

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content