cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

newbie question setting up ethernet lan

kgeil1971
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm setting up a model network for a class I'm taking, and have a couple of really basic questions;

I'm setting up a 100 baseT LAN with 18 workstations, 2 servers, 2 laser printers, and a T1 connection.

My hope is to use the Cisco 2800 series router with a WIC-1t serial port card for WAN connectivity;

Question 1. Does this router have ports for the servers, printers, and workstations already, or do I need a module to do this?

Question 2. My plan is to go from WAN to router to each node. Is the router the only piece of hardware I need? (Not counting cabling needs)

Thanks in advance, it is much appreciated; Any websites which might help me make sense of the overwhelming number of choices from Cisco would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Kevin,

Q1: The 2800 series routers come with 2 Ethernet ports only. Therefore, you don't have enough ports to be able to plug in all your workstations etc. What you need is an ethernet switch or hub into which you can plug in all these devices and then connect the hub to one of the ethernet interfaces on the router.

Q2: Yep, the routers will do it (in addition to the LAN switch/hub you need at each site).

Hope that helps - pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Kevin,

Q1: The 2800 series routers come with 2 Ethernet ports only. Therefore, you don't have enough ports to be able to plug in all your workstations etc. What you need is an ethernet switch or hub into which you can plug in all these devices and then connect the hub to one of the ethernet interfaces on the router.

Q2: Yep, the routers will do it (in addition to the LAN switch/hub you need at each site).

Hope that helps - pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh