Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

nGenius & Probes/NAMs

We need to monitor Cat 5500 (SUP II) and I was reading up on nGenius to see if it would meet our needs. I have also scoured this site for an answer, but could not come up with one. Can someone please tell me if we need ether a probe or a NAM to monitor a Cat 5500 switch using nGenius 1.4?

Thanks.

- Alex

5 REPLIES
Blue

Re: nGenius & Probes/NAMs

Cat5/6K support Mini-RMON by default but you need to first enable it from the CLI. This will give you the Layer 2 (Data Link Layer) info in RTM without using a Probe/NAM. But in order to get the Layer 3 and higher info (Network and Application Layer data) and doing Packet Capture, you need to use Probe or NAM. More info can be seen in the RTM 1.4 docs: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/fam_prod/netscout/rel_1_4/7814182.htm

Noe that Cat5K NAMs are no longer sold any more. The replacement are the new Cat6K NAMs.

Great! Thanks. Would you mind pointing me at the URL discussing how to enable the Mini-RMON?

Thanks again.

Blue

Thanks again. The SNMP is enabled on all of my switches . Would it be enough for monitoring and data trending or do I really need to enable RMON on these switches as well?

_ Alex

Blue

You'll have to enable mini-rmon on the switches as well if you want to monitor those with RTM.

Views
Helpful
Replies